by Lanee Javet
My passion for economic empowerment centers around Black Business Empowerment. We can self resolve a lot of our financial issues, employment, and leave a legacy for the next generation.
While researching Black entrepreneurship I found these stats and wanted to share them with you:
5 Amazing Facts:
1. 30 million small businesses in US
2. 500,000 small businesses started each year
3. Small businesses employ HALF OF ALL U.S. workers
4. Small businesses represent 99.7% of ALL employers
5. Small businesses produce over $6 trillion in GDP each year making it third highest of any country
Black American Facts (2007 US Census)
1.9 million Black owned businesses of which:
– 1.8 million Black owned businesses HAD NO employees
– 106,824 Black owned businesses HAD paid employees, Employing 921,032 people
If every Black owned business added just ONE employee, that could potentially create 2 million jobs in our community.
Supporting Black businesses is crucial to our community. Ensuring our businesses function and operate ABOVE par is the first order of business for me. We have to create businesses that are supportable, not just because they’re Black, but because they do good business.