Those who make the decision to go into business for themselves are truly courageous. It takes more than a great business plan to start a business. In addition to that, it takes more than having an attitude of ‘getting paid.’ One of the main ingredients for business success is to think outside of one’s immediate neighborhood and/or community. Does that mean a business owner should neglect their community? Absolutely not. What it does mean is that he/she must think globally. By globally, I mean outside of the United States. Sadly and shamefully, many entrepreneurs are stuck in a limited mindset, when in fact, the world is available to those who are willing to put in the work and do what’s necessary to get ahead.
As I talk with many entrepreneurs, I’m often shocked with their refusal to brand themselves nationally and globally. In other words, too many of them think it’s costly to get their product and/or service out to the masses. To that I ask the question – why are you in business? Expanding one’s brand to reach people isn’t that difficult, as long as one is ready.
Here are a few ways in which entrepreneurs expand their business:
- Attend networking events. Look at the local chamber of commerce meetings to find out what’s happening. In addition to this, go to Meetup.com and join. Add your profile and find groups you’re interested in joining. The contacts you can make are priceless
- Don’t be afraid to advertise your business. Whether it’s through radio or television, you’ll reach a large audience of consumers. With advertising via radio or television, remember, you have to be consistent
- Ask for referrals. By referrals, I’m not simply talking about new customers/clients. I’m speaking of business partners who can strategically position you to meet the right people
- Have a professional website along with a professional email address. A Yahoo or Gmail email account doesn’t represent one who is an entrepreneur. Think about it. You don’t see major companies use Yahoo or Gmail addresses. You have to think smart in order to be in business
- Surround yourself with people who are doing what you’re seeking to do. Listen to them and learn from them. It’s a reason why their successful and if you learn to emulate their plan of action, you’re one-step close to reaching your optimal success
- Never stop promoting yourself and your business. In other words, don’t become too complacent that you slack off. You must be aggressive at all times in exposing yourself and your business globally
Being an entrepreneur is wonderful because it’s not a job, but a passion that allows you to make money and to do what you love doing. With all of the business books and advice you’ll receive from family, friends, and associates, I want you to get this in your spirit – NEVER SETTLE FOR SETTLING. You deserve the best and because you deserve the best, think BIG. As an entrepreneur, it’s your assignment to make a difference in this world.
Dr. Sinclair Grey III is a speaker, author of The ABC’s of Making Business Networking Work For You, and success coach. Contact him at email@example.com or on Twitter @drsinclairgrey